Xing

Xing

Dark Edge of Honor

Dark Edge of Honor - Aleksandr Voinov, Rhi Etzweiler The Dark Edge of Honor was a good read, but I think I expected too much. It felt like the book tried to be many things, but failed in its execution of to be great at any one of them. Yet despite my underwhelming feelings in regard to this book, it still maintained to grab my attention slightly with its pacing and development. At the very least, to see how things turn out.

I'm really picky when it comes to science fiction. For me, it takes more than the occasional mention of "sonic cannons" and "anti-gravity thrusters" to make a story sci-fi. It also doesn't help that the majority of the book is set on a somewhat primitive world with "flying lizards" that made me feel like this was more of a militaristic fantasy book. The advancement and lack of certain technology also made this universe feel very shoddy and not believable. Will most people feel the same as me? Probably not.

For a militaristic book that takes place on a politically volatile world, there was very few action scenes. I was kind of expecting lots of battles and the desperate fighting for one's life with a burgeoning love story thrown into the mix (with the love interest being a spy from the opposing force). Needless to say, it didn't quite work out like that. While there is some action, the book leaned more on the politics of things.

And while I can see where the author was going with the love between Sergei and Mike, this too felt like a letdown. Not because I was sad with how it ended, but more of its execution. It's like watching a sad scene in a movie, but not feeling very moved/sad from it. I felt like the authors were trying to create some heartbreaking scenes, which left me shrugging my shoulder instead. I think this was due to the fact that the development of their relationship didn't really feel fleshed out enough for me to feel too invested.

Despite all these complaints, the book was still good. It didn't feel boring, or dragged at any one scene. It was constantly moving forward, which I appreciated greatly. And sure, there were some good emotional scenes (despite not really feeling most if it). So over all, it was entertaining, but I'm glad to be moving on now.