Xing

Xing

Hard Tail

Hard Tail - J.L. Merrow 3.5 stars rounded to 4 stars.

Hard Tail is a charming read, that is (in my opinion) character driven. The story is told from Tim's POV, and you really have to LIKE Tim to enjoy the story. He's a 28 year old, closeted accountant, married to a woman who's more like a sister/best friend to him. He has lived his whole life under the belief that everything is always his fault, and that he can never live up to his older (and much loved) brother, Jay.

"The nurses bustled off, not before giving me that frown I always thought of as the "so which of you was adopted, then?" look.

Yet despite all that, Tim is a loving person and offered his help to his brother during his time-of-need. In this book, you get a handful of characters: Jay (the older brother), Matt (the bike shop assistant and love interest), Adam (Matt's best friend), Kate (the sort-of ex-wife), Wolverine (the ginger cat), and etc.

Over all, I really enjoyed Tim's sarcastic nature and his internal babbling. He is such a sweet heart, and I couldn't help but feel my heart melt for him when he's fawning over Matt. Hard Tail is the kind of book when you just want to read a feel good story. This isn't something you should go into with a magnifying glass, ready to analyze all the characters and ponder: is this REALLY how a person in real life behaves? Because the answer will be "no." This is a "go-with-the-flow" kind of story, with very forgiving characters, and bizarre circumstances. You read it to enjoy Tim's self-discovery and if you are in need of a fluffy HEA, involving a murderous cat with attitude.