Xing

Xing

One Real Thing

One Real Thing - Anah Crow, Dianne Fox One Real Thing (ORT) started out kind of slow, starting with introduction to one of our MCs - Nick. Nick is a journalist in a "loving" relationship with Caroline. Through an act of fate, or email in this case, Nick makes a decision to dig his best friend back in college, Holly (short for Hollister), out of trouble and back to a life of normalcy.

The POVs change between Nick and Holly as they navigate life with one another. After all, it has been years since they have seen each other. However, the authors do a good job in illustrating a co-dependent relationship: Holly needing Nick to set the ground rules and Nick needing to be there for Holly. Usually, I am not a fan of these types of relationships, but ORT did a good job without going overboard with the "I need you" mentality. The story was paced well, so there wasn't a stagnant moment.

In terms of things I didn't like: Nick's sexuality. At first, I thought this was a GFY story on Nick's part, since Holly is clearly bisexual. However, there is one sentence towards the end of the book that makes me question if Nick is bisexual instead. This may not be a huge, or any issue, for some readers, but it really threw me off. Also, Caroline (Nick's wife) seemed to be a bit over-the-top, even for the "evil wife" role that we typically see in our M/M romance.

But overall? ORT surprised me, and was a very good read.