Xing

Xing

Point of No Return

Point of No Return - N.R. Walker I was pleasantly surprised with Point of No Return. So we have 28 year old Matthew Elliot, who is the media face of the Fab Four. He's a closeted inspector working for LAPD, and is struck speechless by the sight of his new boxing instructor: Kira Takeo Franco.

We pretty much get to establishing the relationship between Matthew and Kira for the first 60% of the novel. What I enjoyed between these two was the lack of melodrama and denial (aka: "we can't do this, because my career is more important than eating, breathing, and being happy" sort of thing). Instead, these two characters kind of all into place and I was riding rainbows during this time.

Then the last 40% takes a turn for the worst as Elliot's high profile case becomes personal. Was the situation original? Nope. I'm not going to say much more about what happens, since it would spoil things (even though it was KIND of predictable). But you know what? I didn't care, because the situation itself wasn't what grabbed my attention.

It was the emotions.

Elliot's account of his feelings and emotions pushed me over the edge grabbing some tissues to blot my eyes. So even though the situation itself may not win any awards for originality, it was the feelings it invoked that won me over. Fear. Guilt. Love. It was all there in that intense moment and rode out for the rest of the book like a tsunami reaching the shore.

So the book was 75% romance and 25% everything else. Just how I like it in my M/M novels. Well, asides from having one of the characters be a blond hair, blue eyed hunk of a man (and Kira...OMG).