Xing

Xing

Superhero

Superhero - Eli Easton Me and YA. Who'd of thunk?

I don't usually read young-adult fiction anymore. I prefer my men to be hardened soldiers, heartless assassins, closeted police officers, or sociopathic serial killers. So pretty much guys past the age of 18 years old. So I usually avoid YA fiction like the plague.

But the moon and stars were in the right alignment, and even my slowly diminishing heart felt the need to flutter a bit. And so I started Superhero, and was nicely surprised.

Jordan and Owen are best friends from the second grade. Jordan's the artsy, tall student with gangly limbs. Owen's the hulking 170+ pound, number one wrestler for their high school. Jordan loves Owen, but Owen just sees Jordan as his bestie. And so the story goes...

I don't know if there's much I can say. Both characters were likeable. Owen moreso than Jordan. There's a lot of sexual tension that eventually gets satisfied. The homophobia in the story felt a bit over the top, but that's usually something I see a lot of in M/M YA that takes place in high school. The sweetness was just bordering on cavity-inducing, but at the same time, I have a soft spot for stories involving childhood best friends, so yeah.

Overall, it was a good YA experience for me.