Xing

Xing

The Only One Who Knows

The Only One Who Knows - L.A. Witt, Cat Grant Rating: 3.5 stars

Good, but not great.

Let me start off by saying that I like both MCs: Josh and David (Flint). HOWEVER, they didn't really feel distinct. Asides from the fact that David cusses more than Josh, I don't think I would have been able to tell the difference in their conversation (as in, who is speaking). Not only that, but I had a very hard time buying their relationship. Sure, most relationships start off with lust, which leads to "the" one-night stand. But what happens from there is what makes these relationships special. With Josh and David, it was more along the lines of: they couldn't forget each other after their first sexual encounter --> love.

Urgh, sure.

But you know what? Once I realized that this isn't some nitty-gritty story where love is born from the perils of war and violence (cue dramatic music and scenes of two soldiers fighting for their lives) and took everything at face value, it kind of worked. And don't get me wrong: there was a level of intimacy and feels towards the later third of the story that had me get all teary eyed so this wasn't by any means a stale read. Plus, there was some action towards the middle of the book involving a mission (gunshots galore!). And of course, the sex was hawt, so yeah...

A tepid read involving two Navy SEALs. Even though I was expecting something to push my emotions a little more, it was still enjoyable.