Xing

Xing

Evenfall Vol. 1 Director's Cut

Evenfall Vol. 1 Director's Cut - Ais, Santino Hassell In a post-world war dystopian world, there exists The Agency. An organization set to counter terrorist threats to the United States, The Agency is a society in itself existing with its own set of laws. It's probably the only reason why two very different people are able to meet and create a relationship that will start the beginning of a world changing movement.

Evenfall DC Volume 1 is difficult to review without making the comparison to the original version of the series, which I read more than a year ago. Was the experience different the second time around? You bet. Was it necessarily better or worse? Perhaps a little of both.

First and foremost, Evenfall (and perhaps the series as a whole) isn't a very believable story. Even within the tag of science fiction, this isn't a series you should get into with the mindset of reading a perfectly plausible story. Things just happen that easily fall into the “no way in hell they could do that without getting caught” and the logic holes are big enough to induce eye rolls. So why read this series?

The characters.

And perhaps we need all the over-the-top missions and crazy events that occur in The Agency. Because crazy situations can foster crazy interactions. Not to say all the characters are crazy, but you certainly do experience some situations that wouldn't happen in any plausible/normal situation. And it's the conglomeration of the interactions between Boyd and Sin that makes this series special (note how I didn't say “this book”).

So what were some of the good thing about this edition? The story definitely moved faster than the equivalent portions of the original version. If there was a boring scene/situation/mission, you didn't have too much to read before something new comes up. It was steady and consistently pushing forward, and not just in pages, but in time span (days, weeks and even months in the span of a chapter). The characters in the book were engaging, being mostly just Boyd and Sin. You get a glimpse of the other casts of characters. Not too much, mind you, but enough to see that they'll play a bigger role in the future. Regardless, their presence in this volume felt washed out in the current of Boyd and Sin's relationship.

While I understand the authors' decision to tighten up the story, I felt like it ultimately changed the reading experience. While I can't say exactly what portions were changed, and how exactly it was edited, my impressions of Body really differed. In the original portion, he wasn't my favorite character, but his introspection made me at least understand where he was coming from. Sure, his brain rattled off consistently and for pages on end, but there were moments that drew me into his construct of the people and world around him. In the DC version, he just felt like an emo boy with mother issues once that introspection was stripped/edited down. Needless to say, I wasn't very thrilled with this new impression, as most of the story is told from Boyd's POV.

And is it just me, or was people's reaction(s) to Sin a little over-the-top? I feel like the authors tried to make Sin feel like less of a “monster” by providing more introspection on his part. And perhaps that was the point, but people's reactions felt more comical than anything.

Furthermore, for a DC version, I was surprised with the amount of proofreading mistakes. Was it debilitating to my brain? No. But for a director's cut, I expected something cleaner.

I know at the end of this review, I probably made Evenfall Volume 1 sound like a horrible read, and that wasn't my impression at all. I'll be honest: this portion of the series wasn't my favorite in the original version either. It's the setup for all the things to come, and the turbulence between Boyd and Sin was just painful to read at times. It didn't help that this volume ended right at the part where I felt the series was getting good! Overall, this wasn't the greatest first entry into a potentially great series. It was entertaining enough, but wasn't what I was hoping for.