Xing

Xing

Angel 1089

Angel 1089 - C.C. Bridges Note to self: Supernatural fanfiction has ruined all angel/demon stories for me. Anyways...

Rating: 2.5 stars

I think the premise behind Angel 1089 makes for an interesting story. However, the story was plagued with sparse writing, very shaky world building, and not-so-very-good characterization. That’s not to say that this was a bad book. It just wasn’t very good one either.

So my biggest issues was indeed the world building. To be honest, I’m not even too sure if I’m remembering the one sentence that was mentioned in the middle of the book about this futuristic world. I think the United States is ruled by three different corporations/government bodies, and Heaven is one of them? Don’t quote me on that. Since it seemed like the author didn’t feel the need to emphasize more on this information, I didn’t either. Anyways, Heaven is some kind of place that floats and eclipses the sparse Earth where demons and humans reside. Both demons and angels are cybernetically enhanced beings that can fly with wings. Which brought another issue with me.

The wings.

How do angels and demons fly with these huge, gigantic and metallic extensions? There’s no mention of how these equipment, that is certain to weigh a ton, allows beings to pull aerial stunts. I think there was mention of Gabriel “flapping” the wings, and voila! He’s airborne. Which is quite telling, since the whole world is pretty much constructed with that same shoulder shrugging attention to detail.

And then there was the fact that I couldn’t get into either Gabriel, or Jeff. They were both dull characters, and my only pleasure was reading from Jeff’s daughter’s POV. And Trixie, the dog, was sort of entertaining too. I just felt like Gabriel had the potential to be a very interesting character to know, being a zombie-Angel for about 200 years and all-of-a-sudden discovering his humanity. But nope. He pretty much felt like a naïve teenager. Jeff was slightly more interesting than Gabriel (emphasis on “slightly”) with his whole tragic past.

So the story started off kind of “okay.” But then it got a bit better towards the middle when I pretty much stopped expecting great characterization and world building. But then the ending was kind of lame with the resolution. It wrapped up a bit too neatly for my taste, but to each his or her own.