Xing

Xing

Unsettled Conditions (Pindone Files #4-5)

Unsettled Conditions (Pindone Files #4-5) - Ann Somerville Rating: 2.5

I kind of wished I never read this sequel to Cold Front. What I didn't like:

1) No more Ren narration - while Cold Front was narrated by both Dek and Ren, Unsettled Condition is narrated by Dek and a new character. A new character that I cared nothing for, since he had the maturity of a ten year old and is in a relationship with another person whom I cared for even LESS. A good 1/3 to 1/2 of the book was taken up by said character's narration. I'll be honest: about a third of the way through the book, I just started skimming/skipping the portion told by this character unless it involves Ren or Dek. I felt like this switch in narration took the spotlight away from Ren and Dek.

2) The plot. In order to not ruin or spoil anything, let us just say that the plot in this story did not feel as intense as the serial murders in Cold Front. It just lacked that pressing sense of urgency that had me on the edge of my chair in the first book.

3) Ren. I really liked the guy in Cold Front. But then he became a lippy asshole in this book, and that is even in consideration of what happened to him in the first book. I felt like every problem between him and Dek was all pretty much Ren's fault. That feeling doesn't change until the end.

So what was good? Well, once I skipped the narration involving the new character, I was still able to enjoy the interaction between Dek and Ren. And I was also able to enjoy the cast of secondary characters that I grew close to in Cold Front. I was even happy with how the story concludes. So overall, it wasn't ALL horrible.